F-17 Branched report: 20120213 changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 04:16:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 04:00 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 18:07 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 19:36 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 10:33 +0000, Branched Report wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > on http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/branched/i386/os/images/
> > > we got boot.iso
> > > on http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/branched/x86_64/os/images/
> > > we got macboot.img  and efiboot.img
> > > what happened to boot.iso ? .
> > > To start one vm, I need it .
> >
> > There's a thread from a couple of days ago discussing it: the compose is
> > failing.
> >
> > It's not usually a great idea to rely on the automated daily composes
> > working, they can often fail for one reason or another. If you just need
> > a boot.iso to do an install with, go with the last pre-release
> > (candidate) build, which at present is Alpha TC2 -
> > http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/17-Alpha.TC2/ .
>

> yeah, I just read this now, but this staging images, we have a new one,
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/17-Alpha.RC2/ (15-Feb-2012
> 22:08 ) are based on daily composes ? isn't it ?
>
> I built my own boot.iso for x86_64 (based on compose) between
> 17-Alpha.RC2 and 17-Alpha.TC2 :), and I'm quite surprised that installed
> very well, the default gnome-desktop on VirtualBox. Don't found any
> problem of rendering. I to be honest, I think I will try again and
> install kde , which is the desktop that I currently use.

Well, they ultimately use the packages that are in the repos, of course.
There are some differences, though. The spins are done 'by hand' by the
releng team, and we cherry-pick specific packages that aren't yet in the
stable repos into the composes via the blocker/NTH bug processes.

But sure, if you spin your own boot.iso and it happens to work well, by
all means, use it. Nothing will explode. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey