Apple will use LLVM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 04:52:03 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 10:08 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

>   Not to mention that the kernel devs use gcc to compile the kernel -
> and it most certainly puts a lot of pressure on the compiler. I suspect
> unless linus drops gcc as well, we'll at a minimum need to keep it to
> build the kernel itself.

Not quite.  LLVM can be used to build the kernel and what Linus does
doesn't matter as much (kernel is important but only one component) as
showing that Fedora on the whole will actually benefit from moving to
LLVM.  For that,  LLVM has to so much better than GCC and someone has to
do the work within Fedora to show that it is the case. FWIW,  Red Hat is
heavily invested in GCC and Apple has a strong control over LLVM.
Considering the recent changes that Apple has been making to CUPS, I
think it is more than a pure technical choice.

Rahul