service iptables save, systemctl, and unhelpful error messages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 16 09:35:04 UTC 2012

Am 16.02.2012 09:29, schrieb Matej Cepl:
> On 16.2.2012 00:12, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> this will not work since if a systemd-unit is present
>> systemd no longer is interested in anything from
>> /etc/init.d/
>
> Isn't this missing the point ... we are not here talking about using service as an equivalent of systemd-unit, but
> using it as direct command? service iptables save is not meant to be run as part of the initialization process, but
> directly (or in script).

you are missing a simple fact

if "iptables.service" exists anything under /etc/init.d/ is ignored
service is redirecting to systemctl

systemctl does not unterstand "save" and will not redirect to any
init-script and so systemd would have to be patched what will not
happen

[root at rh:~]$ service httpd restart
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl  restart httpd.service