systemd system unit files and UsrMove

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 17 17:04:42 UTC 2012

Am 17.02.2012 18:00, schrieb Nathaniel McCallum:
> Move systemd unit files to /usr/share and provide simple logic to fall back /lib, so as not to break upgrades with
> custom unit files. I am certainly not advocating a bad user experience. If the schedule doesn't permit it, I'm ok
> with delaying the move to /usr/share until f18. However, I would want to avoid two moves at all costs. I can't
> imagine moving them to /usr/shared is a huge task (considering any bugs you would hit would likely already be hit
> by UsrMove anyway) or that moving the unit files from /lib to /usr/share is any different than moving them from
> /lib to /usr/lib. So the upgrade experience can't be really harmed by such a move.

you are missing the point that /lib/ to /usr/lib is a theoretical
not invasive change by replacing /lib with a symlink!

moving things around the filesystem means you are breaking
each sort of scripts and whatever customized software is
runnign at the users machines - can we please stop to
enforce permanently chaning paths all over the world for
some beautniess reason without any technical point for it