systemd system unit files and UsrMove

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 17 17:19:55 UTC 2012

Am 17.02.2012 18:16, schrieb Nathaniel McCallum:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     Am 17.02.2012 18:00, schrieb Nathaniel McCallum:
>     > Move systemd unit files to /usr/share and provide simple logic to fall back /lib, so as not to break upgrades
>     with
>     > custom unit files. I am certainly not advocating a bad user experience. If the schedule doesn't permit it, I'm ok
>     > with delaying the move to /usr/share until f18. However, I would want to avoid two moves at all costs. I can't
>     > imagine moving them to /usr/shared is a huge task (considering any bugs you would hit would likely already be hit
>     > by UsrMove anyway) or that moving the unit files from /lib to /usr/share is any different than moving them from
>     > /lib to /usr/lib. So the upgrade experience can't be really harmed by such a move.
>
>     you are missing the point that /lib/ to /usr/lib is a theoretical
>     not invasive change by replacing /lib with a symlink!
>

> I'm fine if you want to symlink /usr/lib/systemd/system to /usr/share/systemd/system or something else comparable.
> That should be just as noninvasive. My point is that custom files installed in /lib already have to be moved to
> /usr/lib. Why not also cleanly move systemd unit files to a more standard location?

currently /lib will be linked to /usr/lib

what you are proposing is braindead moving around things
and replace all of them by more and more symlinks all over
the system

for what reason?
fun to do changes?
why are you not starting to develop a software on your own if you are
borded and leave people which are happy with working systems in peace?