rawhide/F17 broken dependencies: please stop spamming

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Feb 20 16:04:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:56:28 +0100,
  Patrick Monnerat <pm at datasphere.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 13:01 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > *You* could have avoided this by _retiring_ "insight" properly:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life
>
> *** This is not a normal end of life: this is an assassination ***
>
> There's a maintainer (krege) who's OK to take ownership of iwidgets, but
> he can't because the package has been deprecated (despite the
> requirement from 3 packages that are still alive!) instead of being
> simply orphaned.

Note that the list of packages being removed and their dependencies was
posted at least a month before it happened (probably more, but I don't
remember for sure). Packagers really need to read the devel list so
that stuff like this doesn't catch them by surprise.

The package can still be brought back, but now requires a review. But
since there are at least two people interested in this happening, getting
the review done shouldn't be too big of a deal.