rawhide/F17 broken dependencies: please stop spamming

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Feb 21 17:08:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 17:55:01 +0100,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > File a ticket with FESCo with your proposed change in the policy.
>
> Why does it need a policy change at all to apply a 1-2 day grace period?
> (More days have passed now, but that's just because we all lost a lot more
> time discussing this than it would have taken an admin to just hit the
> "unretire" button.) This should just be common sense! It's really stupid
> that we need to have every little detail written down in the letter of the
> policy these days because everything is being enforced in a totally
> inflexible and pedantic way (sometimes automatically by the software, see
> Bodhi).

Note that there already is a grace period. The policy used to be that a
review was needed after a package was orphaned. There was discussion about
that something on the order of a year ago and various time limits were
discussed. Eventually a consensus appeared to be reached as using when the
package is blocked from repos as the trigger for needing a review to bring
it back.

Note that the people involved here had over a month to deal with this and
didn't. Packagers are expected to read the devel list and they should
have noticed that their packages were going to be affected well in
advance of the deadline.

Do a new review shouldn't really be all that burdensome unless they find
something signicant broken. There are two people involved so that don't
have to find an outside person who has time to do the review.