/usrmove? -> about the future

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 17:31:43 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> > systemd was explicitly written to be 100% sysv-compatible
>
> Mostly compatible, but not 100%.
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Incompatibilities

You're both joking, right?  That isn't 100% compatible, it isn't
mostly compatible, it's barely workable emulation that only works
in generic cases and fails in all unusual circumstances that
SysV used to work in, according to the page above anyway.  And
that's been my experience with it too.  Plus it says that it honors
all the LSB dependency tags in the SysV init scripts, and my
experience is that this is specifically where a number of the
emulation startup bugs exists.  Furthermore, the design "feature"
of not stopping anything that it didn't start seems to be more of
a bug than a feature to me...it means that if an admin starts a
service manually for whatever reason (debugging, want to see output,
the systemd unit file won't allow the necessary interactive username
and password prompt, etc.), then it won't get stopped properly on
shutdown.  That is not a feature, that's just dumb.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD