rawhide/F17 broken dependencies: please stop spamming

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 22 16:34:23 UTC 2012

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> And nevertheless, this thread is also about an orphan within F-17:
>
>   # yum install insight
>   [...]
>   --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>   Error: Package: insight-6.8.1-5.fc17.x86_64 (fedora)
>              Requires: iwidgets
>
> The missing requirement had built successfully for the
> Fedora_17_Mass_Rebuild
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=286344

This is exactly why retiring it was broken and now you're making it a PITA
to fix that. It's required for another package and it works, it should not
have been retired.

> If no volunteers show up and adapt this package and its build
> requirements, it will remain broken. Or somebody cleans up F-17 once more
> prior to its final release and _retires_ packages like this one.

Or, you know, people just UNRETIRE the dependency? The reason insight is
orphaned in the first place is because of the indiscriminate retiring of its
dependency (see the mailing list thread announcing the orphaning), the
maintainer already stated he'll pick it up again if iwidgets is resurrected.
Looks like a simple solution for a simple problem, and it's being made into
a PITA because of religious pedantic application of a policy.

IMHO, we should instruct our administrators to act in the best interest of
the project no matter whether it matches the letter of the policies or not.

> Is it too easy to create orphans so late in the process?

It's too easy to remove working packages from the distribution. Insight
would NOT be orphaned if it hadn't been for that. See above.

> Is it too easy to create orphans without telling anyone about it?

He did tell. See the thread he posted about it.

        Kevin Kofler