rawhide/F17 broken dependencies: please stop spamming

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 22:30:18 UTC 2012

Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) said:
> So it looks like we failed to CC the public list on the discussions, darn…
>
> This was discussed in a mail exchange with the Insight maintainer, krege
> (the maintainer who picked up the rest of the itcl stack just before the
> mass-retiring) and Bill Nottingham (the admin who did the mass-retiring, who
> we CCed on the whole exchange). Krege agreed to picking up iwidgets if it
> got unretired, but we didn't get any answer from notting, not even a "no",
> just no reaction at all.

Sorry, I should have at least replied with a pointer to the unretire
process. But just CC'ing me and expecting me to manually handle exceptions
is no process at all - it doesn't scale, and it encourages the playing of
favorites. Even if you think exceptions are warranted, file a ticket - that
way it can be tracked. In any case, that thread quickly devolved into
discussions of just how obsolete insight may or may not be, without any
real statement of strong desire to keep it.

However, what you state is 'common sense' is merely manual load. If you've
got a way that we can track when packages were orphaned that's easily
auditable and scriptable, we can adjust the process to have some sort of grace
period. Since we don't have that data easily, that's why the policy is the
way it is.

Bill