PyXML package - deprecate it?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:09:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 05:19:01PM +0100, Roman Rakus wrote:

> Look at stdlib xml - it tries to import _xmlplus. And it will replace stdlib
> with nonstd. It's kind of "what?". I can try to report bug on it.

Ugh. Yeah -- so it looks like the code there assumes that python-2.7 xml
libraries don't have any changes that aren't in the 0.8.4 release of PyXML.

This is untrue, but many of the changes won't affect what the code does:
"if value in dict" vs "if dict.has_key(value)" type stuff and work arounds
for older python releases.  There are a few changes which might affect the
output of the code but someone would need to analyze it more to know for
sure.

The method used also makes it harder for people to simply grep the sources
and tell if code really depends on PyXML or not as an import of the stdlib's
xml module may be getting _xmlplus instead of the stdlib code.

> Currently I'm going through packages and using pylint on *.py files on %preped
> sources. And using --deprecated-modules option of pylint. I will post results,
> report bugs and so on...

It's great that you're doing this.  Hopefully PyXML has been deprecated long
enough that you'll find most code only needs the stdlib to function.

-Toshio