Issues with yum

elison.niven at gmail.com elison.niven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:52:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27 12:13:07 UTC 2012, Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com wrote

>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM, elison.niven at gmail.com:
>> I forgot to add:
>> 8) Yum cannot use an iso image as a repo without mounting it.
>> Yast in suse allows to directly use iso images as repos.

> You also forgot to add:

> 1) A proposed alternative
I am more than happy to propose alternatives.
Alternative 1 : Use a totally different package management system : apt-get
It is mature enough. I know this is going to be rejected totally even
without consideration.

Alternative 2 :
Make the following changes to yum to make yum better:
1) yum should maintain status of installed packages locally. And it
should not need to fetch repository information when user tries
yum info <installed-package>
Reason to have this feature : It seems logical to have information
about an installed package locally.

2) yum is currently downloading repository information separately for each user.
It can use the same downloaded repository information for all users.
For example : root did yum install <some-package> followed by
Non root user did : yum info <same-package>.
yum will currently fetch repo information again for the non root user.
Reason to have this feature : Save time, bandwidth.

3) Show progress in "Setting up update process" or "Setting up install process".
At present, users cannot know that is it working or sleeping.
Reason to have this feature : Better user experience

4) Quit on single CTRL-C. Users expect an application to quit on
pressing CTRL-C.
Reason to have this feature : Better user experience

5) Allow to use iso image as a repo.
baseurl=file:///path/to/iso rather than baseurl=file:///path/to/mounted/iso
Reason to have this feature : Small feature but good to have.

> 2)  Patches to fix any of the issues you pointed out
I am not a yum developer at present nor am acquainted with the source.

> 3) Anything constructive at all in your ramblings.
Does the above count now as constructive?

> Seriously, if you want yum replaced with something then you need to
> show up with an
> alternate proposal, how it would work, and people willing to do that
> work.  Without
> those things, this is at best going to be ignored and at works just
> turn into a huge "ME
> TOO" thread that still winds up generating no change.

Your comments on the above proposals?

Best Regards,
Elison