Don't be afraid to ask for help

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Feb 27 14:05:30 UTC 2012

I am sending this because, we have a lot of FTBFS packages which I have
see at least one blog griping about, I accidentally fixed something that
was blocking other work (in the sense that I didn't know that other work
that I wouldn't have to do was waiting for this problem to be solved) and
I fixed something for someone that asked for help in a roundabout way.

We are all not experts in everything and it isn't a problem to ask for
help if you are stuck on something for a package. Someone else on the
devl list (or one of the programming language specific lists) may be able
to easily solve a problem that you could spend hours on without making
a lot of progress.

For those that can help, doing so is a good idea. By removing a blocker
you let someone else do work they can do on Fedora. By showing them
the resolution, they may be able to resolve similar situations when they
see them again, including cases when other developers run across the
problem. It's nice to help your fellow contributors. Fixing things makes
Fedora better for everyone.