Issues with yum

elison.niven at gmail.com elison.niven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:09:47 UTC 2012

I got many replies to my mail that answer many of my questions. Thanks to all.

>  There is a significant delay between these two pieces:

> Setting up Upgrade Process
> Resolving Dependencies

>...is this when you are doing a full "yum upgrade" or upgrading a
> specific package too? How long is the delay?

I get the delay in doing a full "yum upgrade". Even when not
specifying --verbose, a percentage status similar to downloading
repodata can be used for "Setting up Upgrade/Install Process".

> Control C works, but it needs to reach a break point. And once you start
> actually doing a transaction you don't normally want control C to work
> since it will leave your system in a state where manual cleanup is likely
> required.

> Do you really want the option to ^c in the middle of an update ?
> Allowing the user to end-up with a half-updated system ?
IMHO, Using ctrl-c to quit should work instantaneously when yum is
still fetching repodata or downloading packages.

> yum -C info <installed-package>
> from --help:
>  -C, --cacheonly       run entirely from system cache, don't update
> cache
If there is a way for yum to know that the package is installed by
looking up its name, it can eliminate the need for even specifying -C
here.

> Kind of, we used to have non-root users use root's cache ... but that
> caused lots of annoying problems.
> I "have a plan" for Fedora 18, that should make things better. We'll
> see.
Looks promising.

Best Regards,
Elison