Don't be afraid to ask for help

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Feb 28 16:16:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 08:42 -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > I am sending this because, we have a lot of FTBFS packages which I have
> > see at least one blog griping about, I accidentally fixed something that
> > was blocking other work (in the sense that I didn't know that other work
> > that I wouldn't have to do was waiting for this problem to be solved) and
> > I fixed something for someone that asked for help in a roundabout way.
> >
> > We are all not experts in everything and it isn't a problem to ask for
> > help if you are stuck on something for a package. Someone else on the
> > devl list (or one of the programming language specific lists) may be able
> > to easily solve a problem that you could spend hours on without making
> > a lot of progress.
> >
> > For those that can help, doing so is a good idea. By removing a blocker
> > you let someone else do work they can do on Fedora. By showing them
> > the resolution, they may be able to resolve similar situations when they
> > see them again, including cases when other developers run across the
> > problem. It's nice to help your fellow contributors. Fixing things makes
> > Fedora better for everyone.
>
> Seconded.
>
> And if anyone has gcc47 or libpng FTBFS issues, this is a great place
> to ask for help on them.

I have with VirtualBox (again)
but is a Kbuild problem
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=7356
The biggest problem (now) is with one package on fedora kbuild ?
kmk_sed stops to work correctly on F17 .

/usr/bin/kmk_sed:
file /builddir/build/BUILD/VirtualBox-4.1.8_OSE/src/VBox/Runtime/common/err/errmsg.sed line 31: Unmatched [ or [^

see this bug report, please:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10160

any clue is welcomed

Thanks,