How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 28 20:29:36 UTC 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 12:53 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Yes. I'm mostly working on the netinst isos, and right now if you take
> that and dd it onto a USB stick, then insert that and hold down alt on
> boot, you'll get a Mac install.

1.
http://mirrors.yocum.org/fedora/releases/test/17-Alpha/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso

dd if=Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1

2.
I get two additional icons to boot from, both named "EFI Boot". One is an orange USB icon, the other is a blue Fedora icon.

3.
If I choose the blue Fedora icon, I get a GRUB Legacy menu, let it time out. It appears to be loading data from the USB stick. After about 45 seconds, the computer reboots, and I'm at a Mac OS login window. No text error messages indicating why.

4.
I reboot with option key to get the AppleEFI boot menu, choose the orange USB "EFI Boot" icon, the same thing happens. 45 seconds, I get a reboot, and I'm at a Mac OS login window. No text error messages indicating why.

5.
In Mac OS X 10.7.3, Startup Disk panel, there are no additional boot options listed when the USB stick is inserted, yet there are two "ANACONDA" labeled volumes mounted.

The hardware is a Macbook Pro 4,1 (2008) model.