How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 28 21:00:04 UTC 2012

Prior attempt, I mentioned at the very bottom of the email, easy to miss, was a Macbook Pro 4,1 (2008) model.

---------------

Attempt 2 with different hardware: Apple Macbook Pro 8,2 (2011).

1.
Starting with a USB stick produced with the following:
http://mirrors.yocum.org/fedora/releases/test/17-Alpha/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso

dd if=Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1

2.
Inserting the USB stick while Mac OS 10.6.8 is running (I know, older OS on the newer hardware, I'm on crack), the Startup Disk panel does not show any additional options for booting.

3.
Rebooting, holding option key, I get two additional boot option icons both labeled "EFI Boot". One is an orange USB icon. The other is a blue Fedora icon.

4.
When choosing either option, I get the GRUB Legacy menu, it times down to zero, I get 7 seconds of USB stick activity, followed by a tone from the laptop I have only ever heard when doing firmware updates. Interval is approximately 0.7 seconds tone, 0.3 seconds silence, three times. Followed by 3 seconds of silence. Then repeats. It does not end on its own after 2 minutes, and the computer does not reboot. And the keyboard is not functional. I have to hold the power button for 5 minutes to force a shutdown.

Again, no text onscreen to indicate what the problem is - it's still at the GRUB window during all of this.

Chris Murphy