How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 28 21:49:24 UTC 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> Starting with a USB stick produced with the following:
>> http://mirrors.yocum.org/fedora/releases/test/17-Alpha/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso
>>
>> dd if=Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1
>
> I'm not sure if this is expected or not, but I make the following observations about the resulting USB stick, which appears to have a bogus GPT according to three utilities.

parted can't fix it.

gdisk then says the GPT is damaged and will not fix/restore the 1st partition which contains the bulk of the boot data.

gpt bails entirely.

AFAIK this ISO isn't valid, insofar as the GPT is invalid, but I'm not sure if that relates to the booting problems both computers are having.

I'm going to try making an EFI bootable USB stick using the latest livecd-tools and the F17-alpha-LiveCD and see where that takes me.

Chris Murphy