Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 12:41:52 UTC 2012

Il 29 febbraio 2012 13:02, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I think he's got a point
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/25659/Torvalds_requiring_root_password_for_mundane_things_is_quot_moronic_quot_

FWIW, date/time and network require no authentication (including
system-wide things like NTP). Managing printers requires unlock, but
printing, installing a new local printer or connecting to mdns / cups
browsing network printers does not.

Giovanni

PS: it would be useful to have some GUI tool to configure PolicyKit.
Everytime I clean my system I have to dig through dozens of manual
pages just to get virt-manager without a password for my user.