Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 22:51:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 10:09 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 5:15 AM, drago01 wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think he's got a point
> >>
> >> http://www.osnews.com/story/25659/Torvalds_requiring_root_password_for_mundane_things_is_quot_moronic_quot_
> >

> My example is mDNS being blocked in the Firewall by default *and* it requires a root password to unblocked it. Completely retarded.

Except that mDNS is a real security issue (because you can hijack name
resolution quite easily with it).

That said I understand your pain and the realize the current solution is
not ideal for the casual user. Maybe we should have 2 security profiles
(lax and strict) that you can choose at install time so that people can
choose what they like best.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York