Issues with yum

Jarosław Górny jaroslav at aster.pl
Wed Feb 29 23:34:23 UTC 2012

Wiadomość napisana przez Bruno Wolff III w dniu 2012-02-27, o godz. 16:29:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:00:51 +0000,
>  Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 27/02/12 13:52, elison.niven at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> 4) Quit on single CTRL-C. Users expect an application to quit on
>>> pressing CTRL-C.
>>> Reason to have this feature : Better user experience
>>
>> never used ctrl-c, normally use "killall yum"
>> if required.
>
> Control C works, but it needs to reach a break point. And once you start
> actually doing a transaction you don't normally want control C to work
> since it will leave your system in a state where manual cleanup is likely
> required.

Generally I agree, but with one exception. It should be allowed to hit ^C during preparation phases (metadata fetch, dependency processing, even package download), *before* any software get changed (also: rpmdb changes).

Example: I have proxy at work, no proxy at home. If I forget to change proxy settings, and run "yum check-update", it's very annoying it can't be stopped. And I think we all agree that breaking while "yum check-update" is not harmful.

regards,

--
Jarosław Górny
RHCE: 805008212834187