intltool 0.50.0 will drop schema-merge patch

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 10:26:44 UTC 2012

Hi List,

 (this is the third attempt to send this to the list - apologies to the
 maintainer. The email is two weeks old, but still relevant)

 I'm running rawhide and recently bumped into a bug that required me to
 update gtk3 to latest available (3.3.6-1), following that eog broke so
 I decided to update that (from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3) and lo and behold that
 wouldn't compile because intltool-merge was missing --no-translations
 which only appears in the 0.50.0 tarball.

 So far so good, nothing to write to the list about. But there is a
 patch inside the current intltool, 0.41.1-2, schema-merge.patch, that
 has not gotten upstream which adds a --gettext-package flag for fixing
 translation bloat, see bz#568845. According to the last comment on that
 bz it should no longer be a problem because of the move from gconf to
 gsettings. But that leaves any package currently relying on the flag
 hanging.

 I discussed this with Matthias Clasen and he suggested that we:
  1. push the updated intltool package (not done yet since I'm waiting
  for permissions, but soon)
  2. push the updated eog package that relies on it
  3. write to the list giving a heads up that the flag will be missing
  in action.

 Hope this is the right thing to do, if it is totally wrong please
 advise. I could go combing through all packages, but haven't even begun
 to figure out how to do that sanely.

Alon