Bad coding practices in Fedora packages

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:06:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 02:32:28PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> In my opinion, a "search tool and indexer", even if it brands itself
>> "a powerful desktop-neutral first class object database", has no valid
>> technical reasons to run on the machine all the time, even at times when
>> nothing is using it, as was the case at the moment I took the above snapshot.
>
>  Well, indexer need to index files. And react to new files appearing. Which
> brings in another wart of tracker - in default Fedora installation, it is set
> to work "while other application are running, except for initial crawl". This
> makes computer barely usable on second login, while tracker indexes gigabytes
> of text files in my ~.  At least on rotating rust storage, SSD may be better.
> And running in idle IO priority doesn't help much.
>  Tracker should be set to run "only when computer is not being used". But then,
> tracker-preferences is not installed by default.
>
>  Also, 30 GiB in .cache/tracker is a bit extreme when rest of my ~ is 4 GiB.

I also discovered that three different tracker processes were running
in my xfce desktop!  However since I don't see a need for them for me,
nor do I want them, it was relatively easy to prevent them from
executing on desktop startup by going to The Applications menu, then
Settings->"Session and Startup" and under the "Application Autostart"
tab then switch off "Tracker File System Miner", "Tracker Store" and
"Tracker Miner for Flickr" as three separate switches - after that
there are no tracker processes running after the next login.....  and
if necessary the cache files can be removed as well.

I guess there are analogous switches in KDE too that might help make
KDE actually work as a much snappier desktop? In fact I abandonned KDE
for xfce because it was simply too slow logging in for my liking. All
this in f16 but others may have a different experience of course?

If this makes KDE a usable desktop again I might even try it when I
have a bit of spare time!
--
mike c