Bad coding practices in Fedora packages

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:09:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think tracker can be turned off centrally for KDE and XFCE by going to
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
>
> Find the line:
> OnlyShowIn=GNOME;KDE;XFCE;
>
> Remove the KDE and XFCE bits.
>
> Similar for the other two tracker files in the same directory.
> tracker-miner-flickr.desktop
> tracker-miner-fs.desktop
>
> The only catch is that if a system update rewrites those files then it
> will sets them going again -
>
> Is there a foolproof way to stop them running in any desktop other than gnome?

At least for KDE, you can "cp /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker*
~/.kde/Autostart" and add "Hidden=true" to all of them.  The ones in
$HOME override the system ones.  I'd imagine other desktops work the
same way, but I can't say for certain.

It would be nice if it worked like sort of like systemd, where /etc
overrides /lib so sysadmins can easily override stuff with RPM messing
it up.

-T.C.