Bad package selection practices in Fedora packages

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 01:35:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 09:52 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

> I think the error here is less in the coding in packages than in the
> design of the default system specifications, specifically the package
> selection.
>
> The errors gnome has committed would seem to be off-topic here, unless
> the Fedora community still needs more evidence of how far gnome has
> gone evil, or still needs more fuel for the debate about
> whether/when/where said evil should be considered necessary.
>
> The Fedora community should be able to decide which packages to group
> together for which installs.

The desktop team decides what packages go into the desktop spin, and
that's the same group of people as maintain GNOME, and many of them are
upstream GNOME developers.

Their stated position on tracker - it's been brought up on the desktop
list before, see
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2011-September/007377.html - is:

"Yeah, tracker is a required dependency of gnome-documents now. As
Bastien says, we should try to identify and fix possible bugs and
resource issues upstream."

i.e., Tracker is now part of GNOME and they don't intend to disable it
by default, but its default configuration could be adjusted (there was
some discussion in the thread of doing this), and resource consumption
bugs should be reported upstream and fixed.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey