mysql is now a critpath package? WTF?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 18:13:47 UTC 2012

Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com) said:
> So I submitted a routine bodhi request for updating mysql, and was
> astonished to find that it's marked as critpath.  It was never that
> before.  Who decided this,

The dependency solver. It's not a manual process.

> and would it not have been polite to involve
> or at least notify the package maintainer?

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2011-December/000868.html

We could consider having pkgdb e-mail the owner when the critpath bit for
the package gets flipped. Toshio, is that possible?

As to where it came from, the dep chain is:

kdepim
 -> akonadi
   -> qt-mysql, mysql-server

kdepim is in critical path as part of 'critical-path-apps', which is
essentially mail & web. The change that caused this to get added is that the
script prior to early December wasn't actually iterating over the proper
critpath groups, including critical-path-apps.

Bill