mysql is now a critpath package? WTF?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 18:53:55 UTC 2012

Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> writes:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> As to where it came from, the dep chain is:
>>
>> kdepim
>> -> akonadi
>> -> qt-mysql, mysql-server
>>
>> kdepim is in critical path as part of 'critical-path-apps', which is
>> essentially mail & web.

> Sorry Tom, didn't foresee all the implications when we flipped f16's default
> akonadi backend sqlite -> mysql late(ish) in the cycle.

> I'm of a mind to revisit this (again).

I'd recommend it.  mysql is kind of a heavyweight requirement to have
underneath a desktop component: it raises the ante in terms of what has
to be installed and running, and in terms of required sysadmin-ish
know-how.  (Does the average user have a clue how to configure mysql
securely, or even realize that it's not very secure out-of-the-box?
If there are multiple users on the machine, what about information
leakage via access to other users' tables?)

If sqlite works for you it's probably a better choice for this.

			regards, tom lane