mysql is now a critpath package? WTF?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 15:40:23 UTC 2012

Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> writes:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> PostgreSQL requires manual intervention at each upgrade (dump BEFORE you
>> upgrade, restore afterwards)

> As of PostgreSQL 9.0, there is an upgrade utility[1] that doesn't
> require a dump/restore.

But it does still require manual intervention, and there are still the
macro issues of whether you really want people to have to acquire some
DBA skillz to read their mail.  I was *not* proposing this approach.

I remain of the opinion that mysql is also too heavyweight for this,
though.  If the akonadi folk don't like sqlite, maybe they should be
looking into something like bdb.  Embedded databases are simply
different critters from database servers, and trying to pretend that
code designed as the latter can be used as the former is not going
to lead to anything but pain.

			regards, tom lane