mysql is now a critpath package? WTF?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 21:22:45 UTC 2012

> Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com) said:
> > So I submitted a routine bodhi request for updating mysql, and was
> > astonished to find that it's marked as critpath.  It was never that
> > before.  Who decided this,
>
> The dependency solver. It's not a manual process.
>
> > and would it not have been polite to involve
> > or at least notify the package maintainer?
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2011-December/000868.html
>
> We could consider having pkgdb e-mail the owner when the critpath bit for
> the package gets flipped. Toshio, is that possible?
>
> As to where it came from, the dep chain is:
>
> kdepim
>  -> akonadi
>    -> qt-mysql, mysql-server
>
> kdepim is in critical path as part of 'critical-path-apps', which is
> essentially mail & web. The change that caused this to get added is that the
> script prior to early December wasn't actually iterating over the proper
> critpath groups, including critical-path-apps.

I don't recall mail being a critical path function. I'm not convinced
kdepim should be critpath.

The wiki states:

    graphical network install
    post-install booting
    decrypt encrypted filesystems
    graphics
    login
    networking
    get updates
    minimal buildroot
    compose new trees
    compose live

None of those includes email, or anything else kdepim handles.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey