service version disclosure

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Jan 7 07:02:09 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 01:59 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 07.01.2012 07:52, schrieb Digimer:

>>> you are missing the point A BIG CUSTOMER has a security-expert
>>
>> No, I'm not missing the point. You're asking for a wholesale change in
>> how a program works so that you can have an easier time with an
>> uneducated customer. Your job, as a consultant or IT support is not make
>> sure that your solution is safe. Making you customer feel comfortable
>> without actually given them security is a bad idea.
>
> i know about the pros and cons for obscurity
>
> but i also know that from "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8" only "SSH-2.0"
> is relevant for clients and having backports in mind this must
> be the truth because if the whole version would matter all
> LTS distributions would be broken by design

This doesn't change the fundamental point;

You are asking for a significant change in behaviour to a program that
who-knows-how-many apps use, for no real reason other than to make a
client feel better.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron