Packages with inactive owners orphaned and inactive comaintainers removed

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 08:26:59 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 05:18 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 04:36:24AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> I was under the impression, it's the perl-sig's intention to have
>> packages which loose its primary maintainer, to be "colaboratively"
>> maintained. It's at least how I remember the situation when JPO had
>> quit and had left 100s of packages behind.
>>
>> IIRC, back then, packages having had a co-maintainer had been
>> assigned to the 1st co-comaintainer or somebody having stood up to
>> voluneer filling the gap. Those remaining without maintainer were
>> assigned to "spot as placeholder", because the packagedb wasn't able
>> to cope with "maintainer == perl-sig".
>> I guess the packagedb situation hasn't sufficiently improved since then?
>>
> Correct.  No one has spent any time to allow groups to be owners.  This
> would be a significant rearchitecting so I haven't assigned it as an EasyFix
> task to anyone who has just arrived in infrastructure.
>
> Note that the perl-sig pseudo-user could own the packages if the perl-sig
> wants to continue maintaining them and doesn't want them orphaned.  That
> works right now.  What it wouldn't grant is commit rights to the packages.

So, pseudo-user wouldn't work well...
>> Anyway, I just noticed the iburrell packages also are on your list.
>> IMO, these should likely followup the "cweyl treatment", because much
>> of perl would not be usable without them.
>>
> <nod>   Someone could pick them up or (since we still have a list of which
> packages these are) I could assign them to someone in a placeholder
> capacity or as primary owner.  cweyl had specifically asked that mmaslano be
> made a comaintainer of all his perl* packages earlier so that seemed like it
> wouldn't make waves if I set the ownership to prevent orphaning.
>
> -Toshio

People on the list already asked for maintainance of various Perl group
like perl-Moose-*. So, could you go once more over those packages, which
you gave me and orphan them?
Everyone from Perl SIG can take the group of perl packages, which are
interesting for him.

The packagedb-cli can be used even by regular users to take over more
packages.

Marcela