Proposal for update to packaging guidelines for icon files

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:22:34 UTC 2012

Hmm.. Where to start. A recent discussion[1] and package review got me
thinking. I'll divide this into two problems/proposals.

1. If installing icons into in to /usr/share/pixmaps is indeed
deprecated. Then we need to update the packaging guidelines for the
Desktop Files section[2]. In the "Icon tag in Desktop Files" section
it explicitly shows a full path to an icon file in /usr/share/pixmaps.
While not intended as a guideline, it should be revised to showing a
full path to an icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor (probably in the
48x48 directory since it's the minimum requirement[3].)

2. It may even be better to create a separate section for icons.
Because the guidelines require us to "Requires:" a package when we
install a file into a directory that the package does not own,
theoretically all packages that install icons into
/usr/share/icons/hicolor need to "Requires: hicolor-icon-theme". This
should probably be explained more directly.

Thanks,
Richard

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-December/160252.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Desktop_files