Proposal for update to packaging guidelines for icon files

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:12:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2012-01-11, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. If installing icons into in to /usr/share/pixmaps is indeed
>> deprecated. Then we need to update the packaging guidelines for the
>> Desktop Files section[2]. In the "Icon tag in Desktop Files" section
>> it explicitly shows a full path to an icon file in /usr/share/pixmaps.
>> While not intended as a guideline, it should be revised to showing a
>> full path to an icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor (probably in the
>> 48x48 directory since it's the minimum requirement[3].)
>>
> This would forbid desktop environment to pick up more appropriate format
> (e.g. SVG) and made other icon variants useless just vasting a space.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying. A 48x48 icon is already a
minimum requirement, regardless of my proposal. But I don't see how
anything I proposed makes any other icon sizes useless.

I already mentioned that the update I'm proposing here isn't a binding
guideline, but to update the example from /usr/share/pixmaps to
/usr/share/icons.

Richard