Proposal for update to packaging guidelines for icon files

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 11 22:55:52 UTC 2012

Richard Shaw wrote:
> Nowhere did I suggest that the "Short name without extension" example
> should be removed, only that the full pathname example should be
> updated to use /usr/share/icon/hicolor over /usr/share/pixmaps.

The point is that it makes no sense whatsoever to reference /usr/share/icons
with an absolute path! The whole point of /usr/share/icons is to allow
themable icons with potentially multiple sizes, NOT one hardcoded icon.
Using an absolute path does the latter and does defeats the purpose of using
/usr/share/icons.

        Kevin Kofler