Proposal for update to packaging guidelines for icon files

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 00:03:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:22:34AM -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Hmm.. Where to start. A recent discussion[1] and package review got me
> thinking. I'll divide this into two problems/proposals.
>
> 1. If installing icons into in to /usr/share/pixmaps is indeed
> deprecated. Then we need to update the packaging guidelines for the
> Desktop Files section[2]. In the "Icon tag in Desktop Files" section
> it explicitly shows a full path to an icon file in /usr/share/pixmaps.
> While not intended as a guideline, it should be revised to showing a
> full path to an icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor (probably in the
> 48x48 directory since it's the minimum requirement[3].)
>
> 2. It may even be better to create a separate section for icons.
> Because the guidelines require us to "Requires:" a package when we
> install a file into a directory that the package does not own,
> theoretically all packages that install icons into
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor need to "Requires: hicolor-icon-theme". This
> should probably be explained more directly.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> [1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-December/160252.html
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Desktop_files
> [3] http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#install_icons

If you'd like to propose a new guideline/change to the existing one, that
would be great.  It sounds like the consensus here for #1 is to deprecate
absolute paths.  And to explain why the Requires are needed for #2.

The way to propose a change is to write up a draft on the wiki and then open
a ticket for the FPC to look at it on https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/

Thanks,
-Toshio