[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jan 14 14:14:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:03:32 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/14/2012 12:10 PM, Iain Arnell wrote:
> > Then you can't blindly work the averages and apply hard limits. Just
> > because some packages are high maintenance, doesn't mean that can't
> > cope with dozens of low maintenance packages.
> >

> That hard limit is based on an guestimated time it takes to fix a
> single bug from a guestimated free time an individual has to do so.

...snip...

I think the time it takes to fix a bug varies so widely that there is
no way to guestimate any 'average'. Some variables:

* How good/stable the package is.
* How active/good upstream is.
* How complex the package is/what it does.
* How many other packages it depends on where bugs may appear in
  interactions.

I wouldn't personally even try and guess how long an 'average' bug take
me to fix. There's really no average.

> What I'm trying to say here is that there is a magic number ( it
> might be  8 it might be more but most likely it's less ) to how many
> packages single individual can properly and reliably maintain in the
> distribution.

I disagree there is any magic number here.

I think people who feel overloaded or unable to process the bugs they
are responsable for should look for interested co-maintainers to help
them.

kevin