[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 14 18:08:24 UTC 2012

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> What I'm trying to say here is that there is a magic number ( it might
> be  8 it might be more but most likely it's less ) to how many packages
> single individual can properly and reliably maintain in the distribution.
>
> The rules become somewhat different with regards to the number of
> components with "co-maintainership" but you still have only those
> gestimated 4 hours to spend ( in reality this probably is a lower number
> ).

First of all, if a package is maintained by 10 people, that divides the work
by 10. If you don't take that into account, your proposal will actually
discourage comaintainership instead of encouraging it, which is really the
exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish!

Secondly, only 8 packages is a joke, we don't have remotely enough
maintainers to be able to sustain such a low ratio of packages per
maintainer.

And finally, I don't agree with the idea of a hard limit, because different
people have different amounts of free time and work at different speeds, and
because different packages require different amounts of care. As an example,
look at z88dk:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=z88dk.git
You'll see that I haven't touched this package since 2009. And that was NOT
because of laziness, but because there was literally nothing to change!
There hasn't been a single bug filed, nor has there been a new upstream
release (which would have led to a bug being filed thanks to Upstream
Release Monitoring, but I just double-checked), since 2009. (In fact, the
only 3 bugs ever filed against z88dk were an ExcludeArch tracking bug
because the code was not 64-bit safe, which I fixed in 2007, and Upstream
Release Monitoring bugs for 1.8 in 2008 and 1.9 in 2009.) Effort to maintain
this package: basically zero.

        Kevin Kofler