[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jan 14 18:47:37 UTC 2012

Am 14.01.2012 19:12, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Keeping packages around with no maintainers or people handling their
>> bugs is poor for everyone.
>
> Why? If I, as a user, really need a certain piece of software, I'd rather
> have an unmaintained package than none at all!

be careful with such assumptions without mind what this means
for the integrity of your setup

most time you will not know that it is unmaintained
if "yum install" does the job, you expect it will get
security fixes which will not happen in this case

so if it is NOT maintained and has security bugs you
will be the first start whining why it was not from
the moment machine is compromised