Multimedia SIG

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 14 19:44:31 UTC 2012

Greetings from FUDCon, in Blacksburg, VA.

I know that only a handful of people might recognize me on devel@, but
something that's been rolling around in my head for a little while is to
start a Multimedia SIG in fedora.

I know there exists the audio and music SIGs, but they focus more towards
providing a platform on fedora for users to *create* audio content.

Something that I feel is missing is a general purpose SIG that aims to
make sure that multimedia use, enjoyment, and consumption on Fedora is
taken care of very handsomely. This includes focusing on topics such as
sorting out all the mess behind MP3 support (i.e. doing more than simply
telling a user with 3k mp3s in a collection "use ogg"), managing photos,
improving support for flash (obviously without explicitly saying "fedora
supports flash"), doing fun stuff with streaming, making sure pulseaudio
always works, etc.

I've googled around and crawled the wiki but can't seem to find any such
effort.

If I'm crazy, let me know. If not, I hope we can start some discussion.

--
Trever Fischer (tdfischer)
Fedora Ambassador, KDE Hacker