Packaging guidelines for packaging vala bindings

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 09:40:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

More and more packages are getting / installing vala bindings.
While adding vala bindings to the spice-gtk package I've noticed
that there are some issues / inconsistencies with how vala bindings
are packaged:

1) Some packages put them in their regular -devel, others in a separate
-vala

2) Many packages with vala bindings don't take care of the
/usr/share/vala/vapi directory ownership.

Note these 2 are somewhat related, if we solve 2 by making
vala itself own /usr/share/vala/vapi (currently it owns
/usr/share/vala but not /usr/share/vala/vapi), then having
the files in a regular -devel means making that -devel require
vala.

OTOH if we make /usr/share/vala/vapi part of some filesystem
package, then one can easily argue that there is little sense
in having separate -vala subpackages, since the vala headers
are quite small, and a -vala package will require the main
-devel anyways they might just as well go directly into
the -devel package.

Eitherway I think we need some (minimalistic) guidelines on
howto package vala bindings so that we can do this consistently
and with proper directory ownership.

Regards,

Hans