Changes coming for CUPS 1.6

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 10:12:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 17:11 +0000, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> For those of us that just have static printer setups, would it be
> possible to make a cups-browse (or similar) subpackage which brings in
> Avahi?

The dependency will be on libavahi-client and libavahi-common, which are
part of avahi-libs.  These are hard dependencies as the scheduler will
link to those libraries.

Now that avahi-libs is a separate sub-package from the main avahi
package, it does not require the Avahi server.

So currently there is no dependency on the Avahi server, and I don't
expect that to change with CUPS 1.6.

Additionally, I expect the "BrowsePoll" directive in cupsd.conf will
still work in CUPS 1.6 as it does not use CUPS Browsing.  It works by
periodically issuing IPP requests to the listed CUPS servers to fetch
information about their queues.

Tim.
*/