Package categorization and distribution construction

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 19 13:20:16 UTC 2012

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Opinions?

What I would like to see is to have desktop application (but not desktop
environment) groups like "Sound and Video" include different default
packages depending on the chosen desktop environment: GNOME users probably
prefer GTK+/GNOME packages, but KDE Plasma Desktop users probably prefer KDE
Platform or Qt packages, the defaults should account for that.

The way I'd see that working in Anaconda would be to have a desktop
selection before the package selection, so that the choice of default
packages could then be keyed on the selected desktop environments.

The current situation where you have to deselect everything other than "KDE"
to get KDE Platform applications, and where the KDE group includes plenty of
applications beyond the KDE Plasma Workspaces (multimedia applications etc.)
exactly because of this is quite broken.

        Kevin Kofler