Package categorization and distribution construction

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 13:52:05 UTC 2012

Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) said:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Opinions?
>
> What I would like to see is to have desktop application (but not desktop
> environment) groups like "Sound and Video" include different default
> packages depending on the chosen desktop environment: GNOME users probably
> prefer GTK+/GNOME packages, but KDE Plasma Desktop users probably prefer KDE
> Platform or Qt packages, the defaults should account for that.
>
> The way I'd see that working in Anaconda would be to have a desktop
> selection before the package selection, so that the choice of default
> packages could then be keyed on the selected desktop environments.

What we have handwavingly designed is that, in anaconda, you get a variety
of install options:

GNOME Desktop
KDE Desktop
XFCE Desktop
Minimal Server

etc., which would all be shorthands for a lists of group(s).

Once you select one of these, you would get options for that install, so for
GNOME/KDE/XFCE/etc you could have:

Office Suite
Development Environment

while for the Minimal Server, the optional add-ons would be something like:

Web Server
DNS Server
CIFS Server
etc.

These could be separate groups, (i.e., XFCE's 'Office Suite' group may not
have LibreOffice). So there would be the ability to customize that.

Bill