Package categorization and distribution construction

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 13:54:23 UTC 2012

Peter Robinson (pbrobinson at gmail.com) said:
> Great idea, I would also love to see a clear out of the packages that
> aren't core/part of particular categories. MTAs in minimal would be
> one that comes to mind but there's lots of other examples.

Yeah, I'd like to clean this up. The sad thing is that even if I define
the minimal group as:

kernel
dracut
util-linux
systemd
systemd-units
initscripts
yum
selinux-policy-targeted
policycoreutils

it merely drops it from 524MB/186 packages to 503MB/152 packages. I could
make it smaller by dropping yum/rpm and dependencies, but I can't in good
conscience ship an *installation target* minimal install that doesn't allow
you to get updates or add-in packages.

Bill