The question of rolling release?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 12:44:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/12 12:30, mike cloaked wrote:
>
>> The number of problems that have been reported to the lists for yum
>> upgrades seems very large.  Although for any rolling release there
>> have been occasions where unforeseen problems have arisen the day to
>> day updates have been largely routine and trouble free.... hence from
>> what I have observed from the lists rolling releases (which of course
>> are generally a small percentage of the package set) are much less
>> problematic than one giant upgrade to all packages.   Also yum
>> upgrades only occur once the next system version is released whereas
>> rolling release means that individual components can be updated as
>> soon as they release upstream.
>

> I've been doing this a while,
> F16 yum --releasever=17 update --bugfixes --exclude=fedora-release*

Indeed as have many others - but although you might have never had a
problem others have. I have done a few yum upgrades too and sometimes
it worked and sometimes it needed additional investigation to get the
system into a fully working state afterwards. Occasionally I have had
significant issues - so I stayed with clean installs and configuring
from backup config files as needed in the last year or two. See my
comments in my other posts too though.

--
mike c