The question of rolling release?

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 12:54:13 UTC 2012

On 24/01/12 12:24, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:23:14AM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
>> Fedora would appear to be out of line in not taking on board the
>> potential user base for a rolling release version.  For servers there
>> would be huge advantages in management of systems.
>
> I doubt your claims here.
>
> Fedora already has a perfectly good rolling release.  It's called
> Rawhide, and I run it on my laptop.  I'd be nuts to run it on a
> server.

I run Debian Testing (a rolling "release") on my desktop machine. I
wouldn't recommend it for servers either, but I find it roughly as
stable as Fedora releases. Why? Because the equivalent of Rawhide in
Debian is Debian Unstable and packages have to be critical-bug-free in
Unstable for a time before they graduate to Testing.

If there was a rolling repository like this sitting between Rawhide and
Fedora N+1 then I'd most certainly use it. As it is, I'm quite happy
using Fedora 16 on my laptop until 17 is released.

Andy