The question of rolling release?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Jan 24 14:39:19 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 09:08 AM, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> On 01/24/2012 02:13 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>    Fedora suffers an additional problem it seems - not only are there
>> large changes as part of many releases, but lately some of them
>> immediately stop being supported until the 'next big release' - which
>> makes fedora far less reliable and desirable - examples of this are
>> systemd and pulse audio - there may be others.
>
> What the ...?

   systemd 26 vs 37/38 ... tho you're right yes there were/are some
damage control fixes ... which is the point - in a rolling release model
things like this would (should) get the proper attention they need,
instead of moving focus on to the 'next release' ...

   The 'old school' approach is/was to delay systemd (as happened in F14
as we all recall) - a rolling release would allow it to evolve in
testing until its properly ready - without the constraints of making F14
or F15 ... just allow it to grow up until it is adult enough to slide
into stable.