The question of rolling release?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 24 16:17:40 UTC 2012

Am 24.01.2012 17:07, schrieb Michal Schmidt:
>> this is BAD because the version in F15 was a really EARLY state
>> services for F16 like cups rely on systemd-features that do NOT
>> exist in F15 - so you have no chance converting sysv to systemd
>> in an easy way on your F15 installation
>
> I disagree with that opinion. One of systemd's features is a pretty
> good level of SysV compatibility. If there's anything wrong with cups
> in F15, it should be possible to fix it within F15's feature set.
> I really don't understand the mania to produce an F15 system without
> SysV services. You're only bringing the problems upon yourself.

you definition of a clean system is not mine

when i see that services which was not converted to systemd
needs features which were not available with the systemd
of F15 this is a clear sign that systemd was NOT ready for
a GA release

so updates should make it ready for GA

how do you imagine that even maintainers could have
converted services for the F15 release with a
non-finished systemd-version?

in my opinion if a core component is changed it must
not be put in GA before it is ready or if it was too
early it should been fixed in all points of view instead
forcing users "take the next dist-upgrade and look what
components we broke there"