The question of rolling release?

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 16:37:52 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 05:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> when i see that services which was not converted to systemd
> needs features which were not available with the systemd
> of F15 this is a clear sign that systemd was NOT ready for
> a GA release

That missing feature is "PathExistsGlob=", isn't it?
So the solution is easy - just have cups.service start the classical
way: by pulling it into the default target.
Cups worked without path-based activation when it was a SysV service and
it can work just the same as a native service.

> so updates should make it ready for GA
>
> how do you imagine that even maintainers could have
> converted services for the F15 release with a
> non-finished systemd-version?

I am amazed at the sophistry of the argument.

We sometimes add new features to systemd that service writers might find
convenient to use in their unit files. I guess that does make systemd
"non-finished" when interpreted literally.
What follows from that when it comes to suitability for a release?
Absolutely nothing.

Michal