The question of rolling release?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 01:30:31 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 04:53 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> Having looked at the way releasing packages and versions in linux has
> been moving in a number of distributions it is interesting that there
> are several that now have a rolling-release model.
>
> Three of these are:
>
> Debian CUT:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/debian-cut-a-new-rolling-release/
> http://cut.debian.net/

This is just a proposal.  Wont happen.

> Opensuse Tumbleweed:
> http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Seems to be not actively adopted

> Arch Linux:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

This is only distro that gained any traction with this model

> Gentoo is also essentially a rolling release distribution.
>
> Fedora would appear to be out of line in not taking on board the
> potential user base for a rolling release version.

I dont think there is a massive user base waiting for a rolling release
really. Rolling release automatically implies a level of disruption
periodically everytime a major component is bumped up. Esp for binary
distros, this isn't that great a user experience. I would participate in
such a effort but I don't buy the idea of this as a trend

Rahul